East & SOUTH EAST Asia Travel Fund
AVAILABLE FOR QUALIFIED ORNITHOLOGISTS
We are pleased to announce limited travel funds to qualified ornithologists/students that have residency in East and South East Asia to attend the International Ornithologists’ Union 27th IOCongress2018 in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada – August 19-26, 2018 or other meetings important to IOU. Up to $2500 can be claimed for reimbursement that go specifically toward air transportation and hotel lodging only.
For more information on how to qualify, application details and funds available, click here.
- Be a researcher or student dedicated to the field of ornithology and reside in East or South East Asia (countries to include, but not limited to: Siberia east of the Yenisey River, Mongolia, Korea, Japan, China-Hong Kong-Macao, Taiwan and Southeast Asia including the Philippines, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Thailand, Burma, Indonesia, Malaysia, Brunei and Singapore.
- Provide detailed Application Materials as outlined below no later than May 16, 2018 or 3 months before intended meeting date.
- Must be a member of the International Ornithologists’ Union – see http://www.internationalornithology.org to join.
- Fund receivers are highly encouraged to present their research at IOCongress2018, yet this is not an absolute qualifier.
- Multiple requests from the same individual for the same conference will not be considered.
how to apply:
Please submit the following information in one succinct email (e.g., all below materials sent in the same email – including your letters of recommendation) electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org to have your request for travel support considered. Make the subject line of your email read “Application to East and Southeast Asia Travel Fund.”
- Full name, mailing address, phone/email, country of current residency and educational degree obtained/pursuing.
- A self-written letter stating your current research within the field of ornithology and/or degree pursuing within ornithology and a brief description of the professional benefit you anticipate from attending IOCongress2018 or another important meeting to IOU.
- For practicing ornithologists, please write about your current research, education obtained, involvement with conservation programs concerning birds in East and Southeast Asia; including but not limited to studies in both developed and undisturbed habitats, collaborative projects among Asian individuals and institutions (academic, government, business, NGO’s, etc.). Please also include a copy of your resume.
- For students applying for support, in addition to introducing your research and/or conservation activities concerning East and SE Asian birds, two letters of recommendation for support are required (one letter must come from your faculty supervisor or department chair). Please also include a copy of your student identification card.
- A cost estimate of your travel/lodging expenses to participate in your conference of choice.
- If you have registered for IOCongress2018, please provide proof of your paid registration. Verification of your abstract acceptance is also desired, yet not required.
Selection and Announcement Process:
- A committee will review applications in the 2nd half of May 2018 to determine the number of recipients to receive travel funds.
- Attention will be given to the specific details provided in application materials, special needs based requests, balance between practicing researchers and students making fund requests.
- Successful candidates that receive travel funds will receive indication of support in the month of June 2018 or at least two months prior to the meeting date. After the applicant has received travel support approval, it will be his/her responsibility to make their own travel arrangements (air/hotel only) and to participate in IOCongress2018 or another meeting important to IOU.
Funds Reimbursement Process:
- Reimbursement of up to $2500 will be sent by bank wire transfer after attending IOCongress2018 or another important meeting to IOU and upon receipt of itemized travel and lodging receipts.
- The reimbursement will only cover transportation and lodging expenses. No other expenses will be covered (e.g., registration fee, paying for Visas/Passports, baggage charges, meals outside the Congress provided meal functions); no more than six (6) nights lodging will be covered and must be consistent with the dates of the Congress
For further information regarding the East and Southeast Asia Travel Fund, please do not hesitate to contact David Williams, IOU Executive Director at +1-216-464-2137 or via e-mail at: email@example.com