WALTER J . BOCK TRAVEL FELLOWSHIP
AVAILABLE FOR QUALIFIED ORNITHOLOGISTS
We are pleased to announce the availability of limited travel funds to qualified established ornithologists to attend the International Ornithologists’ Union 27th IOCongress in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada – August 19-26, 2018.
Up to $1000 may be claimed for reimbursement that goes specifically toward air transportation and hotel lodging only; there are no geographic restrictions in place for Travel Fellowship consideration.
For more information on how to qualify, application details and funds available, click here.
- Be an established ornithologist (i.e., beyond the stage of post-doc – 5 years after PhD). Applicants from low-income countries and applicants without an academic position are encouraged to apply.
- Provide detailed Application Materials as outlined below no later than May 16, 2018 or 3 months before intended meeting date.
- Must be a member of the International Ornithologists’ Union – see http://www.internationalornithology.org to join.
- Fellowship receivers must be registered to attend IOCongress2018, preferably with a submitted abstract.
- Multiple requests from the same individual for the same conference will not be considered.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit the following information in one succinct email (e.g., all below materials sent in the same email – including your letters of recommendation) electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org to have your request for travel fellowship considered. Make the subject line of your email read “Application to Walter J. Bock Travel Fellowship.”
- Full name, mailing address, phone/email, country of current residency and educational degree obtained.
- Full CV (resume) which includes a detailed list of published works and other contributions to ornithology.
- A self-written letter stating the current research within the field of ornithology and a brief description of the professional benefit anticipated from attending the 2018 IOCongress by receiving the Walter J. Bock Travel Fellowship.
- A cost estimate of the travel/lodging expenses to participate in the 2018 IOCongress.
- Proof of registration to attend the 2018 IOCongress and membership in IOU (registration & membership receipts are all that is needed). Verification of your abstract acceptance is also desired.
SELECTION AND ANNOUNCEMENT PROCESS:
- A selection committee will review applications in the 2 nd half of May 2018.
- The selection committee will contact the successful applicant in the month of June 2018. The applicant will be responsible for his or her own travel arrangements and for participating in IOCongress2018.
FUNDS REIMBURSEMENT PROCESS:
- Reimbursement of up to $1000 will be sent by bank wire transfer after attending IOCongress2018 and upon receipt of itemized travel and lodging receipts.
- The reimbursement will only cover transportation and lodging expenses. No other expenses will be covered (e.g., registration/membership fees, paying for Visas/Passports, baggage charges, meals outside the Congress provided meal functions); no more than six (6) nights lodging will be covered and must be consistent with the dates of the Congress.
For further information regarding the Walter J. Bock Travel Fellowship, please do not hesitate to contact David Williams, IOU Executive Director at +1-216-464-2137 or via e-mail at: email@example.com